Tuesday 24 September 2013

Ribadu is an inveterate liar, the most corrupt police officer I have ever seen – Okiro


A former Inspector-General of Police and
Chariman of Police Service Commission, Sir.
Mike Okiro, has replied former EFCC
Chairman, Nuhu Ribadu over a recent
statement credited to him when he said the
former police boss was behind two failed
assassination attempts on his life and not
Ibori.
Okiro in a statement released in Abuja
described Ribadu as an inveterate liar.”
It would be recalled that Ribadu had on
Friday in a London court while being cross-
examined by both the defence and
prosecution during the hearing on the
confiscation of assets of former Delta State
Governor, Chief James Ibori at the
Southwark Crown Court, London. He had
described the former IGP as “ a despicable
human being; the most corrupt police
officer I have ever seen.” Continuing, he
said, “He made my life hell. He withdrew
my official car and police security.”
Reacting to his assertion, Okiro stated that
Ribadu’s allegation that he withdrew his
official car and police security was far from
the truth.
He said, “Nuhu Ribadu went on a course at
the National Institute for Policy and
Strategic Studies, NIPSS. He was not posted
out of EFCC. His Deputy, Ibrahim Lamorde
was acting and holding forth. The vehicle(s)
he was using belonged to EFCC where he
was Chairman for about six years and
could not have been withdrawn by the
Police. The policemen he used as his
security were those posted permanently to
EFCC.
“Therefore the Inspector-General of Police
had no role in their internal daily
deployment. Thirdly, Nuhu Ribadu was on
course as Assistant Inspector-General of
Police and statutorily had to maintain his
paraphernalia of security details. Nigerians
will remember that Nuhu Ribadu once
caused a newspaper publication to be
made to the effect that he was attacked
and shot on his way to NIPSS but was
saved because he was driving a bullet proof
vehicle and the attackers could not stop
him. He said that he suspected a retired
Inspector-General of Police who had been
monitoring him. I was then serving as IGP.
“ I was angry that a serving
Assistant Inspector-General of
Police or even any AIG at all or a VIP, for
that matter, was shot at and I was not
briefed. I called him several times to give
me details but he refused to pick my calls. I
then sent signals to Commissioners of
Police (CP) FCT Abuja, Nasarawa, Kaduna
and Plateau, the likely state commands
where the incident could have taken place.
They all replied that there was no such
incident in their commands. Since I could
not reach him, I addressed a press
conference where I stated that his claim of
attack was false. I took that advantage also
to ask him publicly to come up with details
of the day and time and where the incident
took place. Nuhu Ribadu never came up as
directed. For him to turn round now and
say that I was involved “in attempts to
assassinate him demonstrated the double
speak for which he is shamefully known.
Lies, lies and lies. He was an Assistant
Inspector-General of Police under me. Why
must I want to assassinate a subordinate
officer?
Reacting to Ribadu’s assertion that he was
present when James Ibori nominated Okiro
to become IGP, Okiro stated that he was
appointed on merit and seniority.
“Two years ago, after my retirement, Nuhu
Ribadu told some of his friends that he did
not obey my instructions and directives
when I was IGP because he had been
pencilled to take over as IGP from IGP
Sunday Ehindero and he had been factored
and positioned for the office when I came
and usurped it, as if I appointed myself IGP
or as if he himself is God to determine the
course of nature.
“He claimed that he regarded me as an
interloper who took the position reserved
for him and so despised me and whatever I
stood for” he added.
Okiro who flayed Ribadu’s allegation said
he was the most corrupt police officer he
has ever seen and wondered why he
should denigrate his senior in such
manner, asserting that it shows he was
‘indisciplined

No comments:

Post a Comment