Saturday 24 August 2013

Vast of Bracket :how i survived cancer

I don’t know what to say, but first of
all, I want to give thanks to  God. I
was very sick. Before I went to the
hospital, I attended a couple of
shows. I wondered how I was able to
perform at the shows because I was
seriously ill. My partner, Obumneme
Ali a.k.a Smash and I had series of
shows and in a situation where
payment  has been made, I  had no
option than to grace the stage. We
decided to round off our shows late
last year in order to enable me take
care of my health in 2013. But
unfortunately, up till January, this
year, we were still going for concerts.
We even had to travel to Australia to
stage a concert.
Then, I was visiting one of the
hospitals in Lagos, and that was
where I was diagnosed. They carried
out all the medical examinations, and
when the results came out, the
Haematologist advised me to seek for
further treatment  abroad.
If you have travelled to America or
any Schengen country within two
years, you can apply for a Priority
Visa and we were   qualified to do so.
We applied and within four days, the
visa came out. We met a friend in the
UK who introduced us to his brother
who is a Medical Doctor. He assisted
us and we met a Haematologist who
advised that I should re-run all the
tests again.
The only thing we didn’t do was the
surgery which I did back home
before I was diagnosed of suffering
from blood cancer. After everything,
they started with the treatment they
called ‘Bone Marrow’. It wasn’t an
easy one, it was very difficult. I
thought I would loose all the blood
in my body but thank God I survived
it. After a week, I started having
complications, I had to return to the
hospital to have blood transfusion
after which I felt better. We spent a
lot of money. At  a point, I was
hopeless and was only praying to
God for His mercies.
After the second chemotherapy, I
started exercising because the doctor
advised  me to do regular exercise.
However, it was after the third
chemotherapy that the pictures I
took while in the hospital  leaked. By
then, I was already bouncing back to
life because I passed through the
valley of the shadow of death.  After
the fourth chemotherapy, we shot a
video, ‘Temperature’ in London .
Singer, Vast from Bracket in an
interview revealed how he recovered
from cancer. Read the Excerpt below:
I didn’t even know I could do that. I
initially thought the cycle would be
six but before the fifth
chemotherapy, the doctor informed
us that it was going to be eight. I got
confused at that point and even
doubted what they were doing. I
thought they just wanted to milk me
because it was expensive. My
manager, partner and  Chief
Executive Office however encouraged
me to complete the treatment.
I was only going to the hospital, then
to the gymnasium and back to the
house. After the seventh chemo, I
was told to do a Lumber Punch- they
would have to inject my spine. It was
done after the fifth chemo and it was
very painful. I thought I would be
paralysed. I was told the Lumber
Punch was necessary to prevent the
disease from getting to the brain. At
that point, our account was almost in
the red.
Luckily, a friend known as Ugonna
came to London during my third
chemo and was moved when he
heard that we had accommodation
problem. He later gave us some
money to look for one.  Ugonna was
the only person that assisted me
financially apart from the prayers
and encouragement of my fans and
the media. I did the Lumber Punch
and lost a lot of blood.
Two days after, I went to get another
chemo. When one undergoes chemo,
it kills both the good and the bad
cells and flushes out all the blood in
your system. So, you have to be
refreshing. Imagine losing so much
blood after the Lumber Punch and
after the chemo. I was almost a dead
person.My colour   overnight. I
remembered what the doctor told me
that cancer is not the problem but
the treatment.
After a week and a half, I started
exercising, taking juice and
everything that would help build my
blood again. I was finally cleared
from the hospital and I thank God
for His mercies.  A lot of people came
to our  house to rejoice with us when
we  returned to the country during
the week. I want to thank them. The
likes of P-Square, Jimmy Jatt, Dammy
Krane, KCee, Chidinma, Illbliss,
JMartins and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment