Sunday 13 October 2013

Bishop donates late father’s wealth to charity

The Bishop of Nsukka Catholic Diocese, Rt.
Rev. Professor Godfrey Onah,
on Saturday announced that the money in
the bank account of his late father will be
used for charity.
Bishop Onah, who spoke at the funeral
mass for his late father, Mr. Gabriel Onah,
at Imilike in Udenu Council Area of Enugu
State, said the money would be used to pay
school fees of indigent children in the area.
The late Gabriel Onah died on September
28, 2013 at the age of 99.
While reading a funeral oration on behalf
of the family, Bishop Onah said the family
took the decision because their father as a
teacher had passion for education.
“My father as a teacher believed that
education is necessary for everybody.
“As he liked riding bicycle, most times
people in their jeep will stop to great him
and remind him that he taught them in
primary
school.
“He was humble, godly and contented with
whatever he had. We will continue to
showcase good virtues he instilled on us.
“My father was a disciplinarian who would
not hesitate to flog any of
us when we went wrong”, he said.
He continued that “I
stopped throwing away
canes my father used to flog me, when I
discovered that the more I threw away the
small one he used to flog me, the more he
brought bigger canes for me.
“I started thinking that possibly without
flogging of those days, I could have not
become what I am today. No wonder the
bible said ‘Spare the Rod and Spoil the
Child’”.
Earlier in a homily by Rev. Fr. Fred Agu, he
described life as a market where one buys
and goes, battle field where one fights and
goes and as a stage one performs and
leaves the stage.
“What matters is how you buy, fight and
perform while alive. We should all prepare
because death must come for every person,
the rich and poor, as well as old and
young. What will earn us heaven is how we
lived our life on earth”, he admonished.
Agu described the late Onah as “a teacher
who was satisfied with his job as well as
taught
children under him the importance of
humility and fear of God.
“If he has not trained his children very well,
it will be impossible for one of his sons to
become a Catholic Bishop”.

No comments:

Post a Comment