Saturday 21 September 2013

Sexual molestation of 10-yr – old girl in Lagos

The alleged sexual molestation of a 10-
year-old girl (name withheld) at Abraham
Adesanya estate, Ajah-Lagos, by a tanker
driver simply identified as Edward, believed
to be in his late 30s, is currently raising
dust as the victim’s father has cried out
against the ‘unsatisfactory’ manner the case
was handled by the Police at the Ogombo
Police station. He alledged he was being
forced to drop the charges on the grounds
that it was a “minor offence”, and that
there was no “penetration in the course of
molestation”.
According to information made available to
Crime Guard, the incident occurred on
Friday, September 13, 2013, at about 9pm;
when the victim, a primary six pupil, was
asked by her mother to get a ‘step-
down’(an electrical appliance)from their
residence within the vicinity of her parents’
restaurant. On her way back, she saw
Edward, a regular caller at her parent’s
restaurant, a stone- throw from their home;
she narrated what transpired.
“Edward sat on a pavement in front of the
second gate to the compound where he
lives. I greeted him and he acknowledged,
as I walked past, he said I should get closer
and greet him properly. I told him I would
not, because my mother warned me not to
stay late; but I noticed he got up from
where he sat and walked towards me; as I
made to run, he pursued and caught up
with me,and dragged me to the pavement
and sat me on his laps.
*The scene of the incident
He told me I was all grown and beautiful,
that my father must be spending so much
to take good care of me; then he pulled my
face and kissed me, telling me to relax that
he was not going to harm me, that he
would take good care of me. He then
inserted his finger into my private part. All
the while, I struggled to extricate myself
from him to no avail; I was afraid.
I prayed help would come my way through
a passers-by, but no one did. Then, I
summoned courage and screamed…and let
go of me, that was how I ran away, crying
that I would report what he did to me to
my father. As I ran I heard him calling after
me, ‘come and take some money, so that
you don’t report me to your father’; but I
increased my speed and ran as faster to
our restaurant, where I met my parents
and reported what happened to me,” she
said.
The victim’s father identified as John
Inalegwu from Benue State told Crime
Guard that he was discussing with some
friends outside his restaurant when his
daughter ran past me and went her mother
crying, and narrated something to her.
Sequel to this, I excused myself from my
friends to ascertain what was the matter,
when her mother brought her to me; I
calmed her down, after which she narrated
what happened to her. Strange! I was
furious; how could ‘Yellow’,a regular
customer to our restaurant do that to my
daughter? He was very friendly with my
children? I asked.
“Luckily, two Police officers attached to the
Abraham Adesanya Police Out-Post were
having a meal at my restaurant at that
time, I reported to them and my daughter
led us to the spot, where we met ‘yellow’
and he was arrested and detained at
Abraham Adesanya Police Out-Post. He did
not deny the accusation, but told us to
temper Justice with mercy, as the incident
was as a result of the ‘devil’s hand-work’.
We were advised to go and get a medical
report, and we did, the report further
confirmed that he committed the crime”,
he said.
Crime Guard also gathered that the culprit
was later transferred to Ogombo Police
station Ajah, where he was detained for
three days. Unfortunately, father of the
victim is suspecting that the case stands
the risk of being struck out from the Police
station, without his consent. The 40 year
old Oturkpo- born restaurateur continued,
“On September 17, I went to the station to
find out the state of the case, I was
surprised to discover that the verge of
being withdrawn from the station. As a
matter of fact, I was ordered to drop the
case because, according to them, it was a
minor offence as there was no
‘penetration’, also that the accused
pleaded with them that the case be settled
out of the Police station, a resolution I
found ridiculous, I want the necessary
steps taken, and justice done. How do I
explain to my 10-year-old daughter that the
man who molested her has been freed by
the Police without trial on the ground that
he did not penetrate her? Is this how the
law operates? Is this how we were suppose
d to protect our children and vulnerable
ones? We are making moves to get a lawyer,
and also to transfer the case to Ajuwa
police station where we hope to get
justice,” he stated.
A neighbour at the estate who spoke on
condition of anonymity told Crime Guard
that the Bayelsa State- born tanker driver,
whose wife and grown children lives in
another part of Lagos, was known in the
neighbourhood for molesting minors,
patronising women of easy virtues and
chasing after married women. “He had no
respect for anybody; he has a mattress
placed behind the passengers seat in his
truck, where he lays most of his victims.
He is notorious in this act; I think he
should not be let loose just like that, he
needs to be brought to book. Otherwise,
he might relocate to some where he is not
known and continue with this; I am scared
over the fate of our daughters and wives,”
he lamented.

No comments:

Post a Comment