Friday 30 August 2013

Nollywood Actor Benson Okonkwo clears the air about his sexuality

Sometimes I do wonder if he is gay.my assertion was based on his roles in Nollywood movie,Anyway you can blame me because you also think the same.here is what he has to say

Talking about the movie that brought
you out, there is a particular movie
about gays which has gotten you more
accusations and criticisms than
accolades. Could you talk about it?

I have promised myself that I will no longer
talk about the movie. It’s really funny that
Nigeria is a country where people attribute
an actor’s role to his real life character.
If I’m given a role to play and I played it
excellently, does that make me that
character in reality? Yet, it is the same
Nigerians who will be first to point fingers
at those actors that do not act their movie
roles well.
It’s quite funny that because I played a gay
role then I’m automatically gay. So if I
played the role of a police officer, does
that makes me one? I just have to thank my
fans who repose so much confidence in
me, that’s all.

Are you saying that you are not truly
homosexual like a whole lot of people
believe?

My brother, what else do you want me to
tell you. Please, I’m very busy.
Most of your fans have been asking why
you had to star in such a movie, yet you
keep denying that you are not gay.
I just told you I was doing my job. Period!
Why should I call myself an actor if I can’t
play a movie role perfectly? Tell me!
And there is another issue here: I’ve
noticed that so many people, because of
their own mischevious and dirty minds,
would fail to look past the sexual scenes in
a movie when there are way too many
morals to learn. Like most movies, that
movie you are talking about was used to
pass a message across to the public.
But if some people refuse to grab those
messages and choose to focus on those
things that satisfy their lustful and
mischievous minds, then it’s no one’s fault.

I also heard there is a new movie you
just did in which you acted totally nude
in a scene. Tell us about it.

The name of the movie is “James Town.” It
was directed by an A-list Nollywood
director and scriptwriter, Ifeanyi
Onyearbor.
My manager, Mr Brown Ene, is a good
manager and he called me up and we
negotiated and I took the role. It’s a must-
see movie.
Now before you start to asking me why and
crucifying me, that’s the character I was
givien to play. It warrants me to go nude at
a point in the movie. It’s a serious movie.
So like I said, as an actor your ability to
interpret any role given to you is what
makes you a good one. So Nigerians should
understand that I was only doing my job.
it’s just a movie. It’s a ghetto movie and I
was one of the lead characters in it. I also
took the role because the pay was so right.
It’s coming out soon; I’m sure people will
enjoy it. It starred Nollywood stars like
Queenth Hilbert, Patience Ozorkwo a.k.a
Mama G, Gbenga Richard and musician,
Vicko Kings. It will be available in all
cinemas.

You are obviously one
of the few actors not
afraid to go to any length when it comes
to your job. What challenges do you face,
especially from the public?

The challenge is nothing more than the
regular criticism. You come out in public
and when people recognise you, they start
to look at you strangely. But I’ve developed
a very tough skin to criticisms.
I have come to the realization that
whatever you do, even if all you do is just
do nothing, say nothing, fold your arms
and close your eyes, people will always
criticize you no matter who you are, so just
do what makes you happy as long as you
know you are not hurting anyone.
I will always be grateful to my fans who
have been encouraging me.

How did you join showbiz?

I started modeling at age 16 and started
acting professionally at the age of 23. I
have always loved entertainment. I used to
act when I was in primary and secondary
schools.
Even in our church, a Catholic church, I
acted every Good Friday. I used to take the
part of Jesus Christ.
I also did dramas with friends at home. My
mom noticed this talent, called me and said
‘Benson, you have to go into acting
professionally.’ She gave me some money
to register with Actors Guild of Nigeria
(AGN), which I did in the year 2008.
Since then, I have featured in over 30
movies and I’m still counting. Also, I have
modeled for Zain (now for Airtel), Wema
Bank, Nestle, Gold Circle Condom,
Rainbownet, First Bank, Orange Drugs and
many too numerous to mention. I have lost
count, but I give God the glory.

Apart from acting, you also run a
boutique and saloon.

Yes, I have love for fashion and beauty.
I’m known for looking good. My nickname
is Mr. Packaging and I was nicknamed that
because of my dress sense. It’s just simply
because of the way I combine colours and
all.
My salon and boutique are in Enugu;
Colectibus Unisex Salon. It’s where my
fellow actors come to have their hair done,
and also my fans. I went into the fashion
business because of my love for fashion
and style and to reach out to my fans. It’s
an exquisite place for distinguished and
sophisticated individuals.

You are currently one of the candidates
for the “Sexiest in Nollywood” contest.

Could you throw more light on that?
I was nominated for Nollywood Sexiest
Actor both in the Ghana and Nigerian
categories. We were above 150 when we
started the quest and now we’ve been
screened to 20 and I’m on the top five. I
thank my fans for their votes so far.
I believe that I’m going to win because I’ve
got a charming smile, great height,
romantic eyes and good posture and I’m a
head turner any day.
Jim Iyke won the first edition and Desmond
Elliot won the second. I’m in the top with
the likes of Ramsey Noah, Yule Edochie,
Van Vicker and John Dumelo. It’s strictly by
vote and I believe I’ll win with the help of
my fans who have been voting.
You sound like someone who has got the
ladies at your fingertips?
That’s normal. I won’t deny that I’m a
lady’s man, but one needs to be very
disciplined. My mom taught me to be
disciplined and treat ladies well.

No comments:

Post a Comment